Another community based service which forms part of the Cottonera Community Services is the social work service offered within the Paulo Freire Institute (PFI), based in Żejtun and set up and run by the Maltese Jesuits. Appoġġ offers the services of supervision and support to the social workers working within this setting.
The primary aim of Paulo Freire Institute was to respond to the growing problem of illiteracy amongst children and adults alike. However it developed into a holistic service, providing literacy classes for adults and children, educational and recreational activities for children as well as a social work service in the community.
The PFI also works on a number of community-based projects, generally related but not exclusively to literacy and learning. Aġenzija Appoġġ was involved in the project from its initial stages. It provides the services of a community-based social workers, who are based at PFI. Through this arrangement, both entities share a very positive and fruitful relationship and is a good example of collaboration between non-governmental organisations and Aġenzija Appoġġ.
Throughout the years, PFI has become a very significant centre for the Żejtun community and for others coming from neighbouring towns and villages. It serves as a drop-in centre for those seeking assistance in personal, family or other social problems, as well as support in developing skills to help improve their quality of life.
Aims & Objectives
- To improve the quality of life of the local community by offering community-based services, giving particular attention
- to the most vulnerable within the community;
- to provide literacy opportunities for children and adults;
- to provide social work services within the community;
- to work in partnership with other service providers for the benefit of the most excluded in the community;
- to build formal and informal support networks in the local community so that those most needing it may find support within their own community;
- to strengthen community resources through support, training and collaboration;
- to evaluate the changes that are taking place and constantly work for more positive changes in the community.
For more information about Paulo Freire Institute click here.