What is the Hotline?
The Hotline is an online reporting system which provides a secure and confidential environment where the public can report websites which host online child abuse.
Our Mission and Role
We use our expertise to work with partners to:
- Disrupt the availability of child sexual abuse content hosted anywhere in the world
- Protect children who are victims of sexual abuse from repeat victimisation and public identification
- Prevent internet users from accidentally stumbling across child sexual abuse content
Child Sexual Abuse Images and Videos
What kind of pictures or videos you need to report?
- Images of children depicting erotic posing with no sexual activity
- Non-penetrative sexual activity between children or solo masturbation by a child
- Non-penetrative sexual activity between adults and children
- Penetrative sexual activity involving a child or children, or both children and adults
- Sadism or penetration of or by an animal
Report Handling Procedure
Hotline Team within Aġenzija Appoġġ
Aġenzija Appoġġ’s Hotline Team has multiple roles. It operates the online reporting system which receives online reports related to child pornography. Moreover, the Hotline Team also deals with calls received on Supportline 179 related to the same topic. The Team participates actively in awareness campaigns by local media and organises awareness events and carries out internet safety education programmes in schools to promote the use of the helpline and hotline. Moreover, the team:
- Receives and asses reports related to Child Indecent Material online.
- Receives calls related to cyberbullying, grooming, hacked profiles, sexting and addiction through the 179 helpline.
- Supports the identified victims.
- Participation in info days for families.
- Participates in International meetings such as Insafe meetings and Inhope meetings.
- Collaborates with the Cyber Crime Unit – Malta Police Force
Article 208A of the Criminal Code (Cap.) of the Laws of Malta
Indecent Photographs of Children under age
Any citizen or permanent resident of Malta whether in Malta or outside Malta, as well as any person in Malta, who makes or produces or permits to be made or produced any indecent material or produces, distributes, disseminates, imports, exports, offers, sells, transmits, makes available, procures for oneself or for another, or shows such indecent material shall, on conviction, be liable imprisonment for a term from twelve months to five years.
For the purposes of this article the expression “indecent material” includes photographs, images, audio or video recordings, digitally created or electronic images, drawings, cartoons, text and simulated representations or realistic images of a minor, even if the minor is non-existent, or of the sexual parts of a child for primarily sexual purposes.